Smoker in your household? a smoker yourself? If so, your carpets probably smell just like your ashtray. This is because carpets are odor and stain magnets. Blemishes are an easy scrub away but what about the odor? Not only are cigarettes harmful to your health, they are also harmful to your home’s natural scent. One can come into contact with carcinogenic properties in three ways.
- First hand ( Act of Smoking)
- Second hand (People exposed to the smoker)
- Third hand (Cigarette Odors absorbed by items)
If it’s gotten to the point where your carpets are producing a nasty cigarette odor, you are exposing yourself to third hand cigarette smoke. Water and soap bubbles aren’t enough to remove the stench from your carpet. Here’s an effective way to do so, you’re going to need the following:
- Baking Soda
- Spray Bottle
- Dried Lavender
Steps to remove odor
- Generously sprinkle baking soda all over the carpet. If you want to leave a lavender scent after the cleaning process, add the dried lavender into the mix.
- If the odor has been sitting in the carpet for a long time, lightly brush the surface before adding more baking soda.
- Let the baking soda sit overnight (the longer the better)
- Sweep and vacuum the carpet the following day.
- If it still smells like smoke, it’s most likely beyond home remedies. This is a sign that a professional should handle the situation.
Freedom professionals are trained experts in identifying and eliminating offensive odors. Masking and other shortcuts don’t work when your odor problem is serious or persistent.